There are only few times in a food blogger's life when you actually KNOW that something you wrote, made someone or something, take action. Although, I suspect it happens more often than you think. The problem, dear reader, is that we as food bloggers usually never know if you actually made that recipe we posted, or tried growing your tomatoes the way we suggested.
We HOPE that is the case, but rarely are we told unless you think to write something in the comments section of our blog . . .this, my friends, is where the feedback loop falls way short, and not in our favor.
In my early days of food blogging, I didn't think it mattered what I wrote about, as I was confident that no one but my Mom and my foodie Aunt in Seattle, were actually reading my blog. Back then, I wrote a post about pairing black pepper cashews with Relax Riseling for pete's sake. I thought this was NEWS!!
It is hard to judge just by the numbers how many people your words are actually reaching, and of those you reached, how many actually read what you wrote, and of those who actually read what you wrote, decided to take action because of your words.
I am lucky, because I do know of one post I wrote . . .a dream that I put out in the universe that did actually come true. (Have faith, friends, sometimes when you write it down . . .the whole universe will conspire to make it happen.)
It was a post I wrote called: KC Food Truck - Round-Up which stemmed from my passionate desire to foster the growth and expansion of food truck culture in the Kansas City community, and to find a permanent lot where these trucks can park together creating a go-to destination for those looking for an inexpensive bite without having to chase trucks all over the city to find it. I received more comments about that post than almost any other I have ever written.
That post also caught the eye of a local real estate developer named Jon Copaken of Copaken Brooks, who contacted me about an empty lot he owned in the Crossroads that he thought would make a perfect lot for multiple food trucks to park on. Just exactly, what I had called for in my post regarding what I thought would be needed to make food truck culture thrive and flourish in Kansas City. He mentioned reading my blog post on the subject, where I actually suggested Stretch offer to help give the trucks a place to land. Jon thought with my foodie connections I could help him round up the trucks for a meeting to discuss their needs and wants for a permanent lot. So, on a hot day, last summer, Jon Copaken and his team, including a lovely woman named Sharon Ko, who is the Marketing Director for Copaken Brooks, met with myself and a handful of food truck owners about their needs for a permanent lot. The team of local Kansas City companies out there that day in addition to Copaken Brooks, Polsinelli Shughart PC, Helix Architecture, Global Prairie and finally, Foodie, LLC (guess who?) all who contributed their time and resources to the project.
Hugely talented local agency, Global Prairie, was responsible for the naming and branding our our new food truck lot. As, I sat there talking to them about how I thought the name needed to be descriptive but a little edgy . . .the name The Truck Stop rolled off my tongue. Global Prairie agreed there was something to that name and they added "a permanent collection of Kansas City’s finest food trucks located at 21st and Wyandotte."
Collectively, we both put a name to this food truck endeavor and The Truck Stop was born. The Truck Stop enjoyed a successful run last year from July 2011 to October 2011 every First Friday of the month at 21st and Wyndotte.
As word of the food truck lot spread, more and more food trucks were found parked on First Fridays down at The Truck Stop. Picnic Tables and trash cans were called for . . .and some weekends found a DJ spinning tunes to listen to while you went from food truck to food truck for your dinner. The person who was always out there making sure all the trucks had what they needed each First Friday was Sharon Ko. (If you are a new food truck in town, you want to get in touch with Sharon. I'm just sayin'.)
Like a proud mother . . .I am tickled to see my baby live to see it's 1 year birthday milestone. I really do take pride in and feel at least partly responsible for some part of the healthy food truck scene we are experiencing right now. Go trucks go! Spring is upon us and soon the trucks will be taking to the streets again. I can't wait.
I have had several requests to update the list of food trucks currently operating in Kansas City right now, or coming soon . . .so with the Truck Stop preparing to opening up the first Friday in April, I thought now would be as good a time as any to do a little roll-call with our local food trucks.
If you have a food truck and I've missed you, it's not because I don't love you. I just don't know about you . . .yet. Simply, post in the comments below.
- 3 Girls Cupcake (Bakery) - http://on.fb.me/yu3juG
- CoffeeCakeKC (Bakery & coffee) - http://on.fb.me/AtbY5a
- Fresher than Fresh Snowcones (Snowcones) - http://on.fb.me/yCuIOj
- The Funnel Cake Truck (Funnel cakes) - http://bit.ly/zLCWub
- Big Bubba's Kettle Corn (Kettle Corn) - http://bit.ly/xl4OHZ
- Los Tules (Mexican) - http://on.fb.me/y2ECBp
- Poco's on the Boulevard (Mexican) - http://on.fb.me/xBtoiI
- Tamale Wizard (Mexican American) - http://on.fb.me/wGWQ1l
- Indios Carbonsitos (Mexi-Q) - http://on.fb.me/xlBQJN
- Port Fonda (Mexican) - http://on.fb.me/yz2ppr
- Westport Street Fare (Asian/Mexican) - http://on.fb.me/xPoyFC
- Jersuluem Cafe (Middle Eastern) - http://on.fb.me/AAvbDo
- Good You (American & Burgers) - http://on.fb.me/yjTKuV
- Deco Street Eats (American) - http://on.fb.me/w4uPSq
- Maid Rite Truck (Loose Meat Sandwiches) - http://bit.ly/yRAoGR
- Wilma's Real Good Food (American) - http://on.fb.me/yB2E6P
- Home Town Market (American) - http://on.fb.me/AilUtT
- Curbside Cuisine (American) - http://on.fb.me/y1E3FZ
- Grit -n- Gravy (Sammies, Hot Dogs etc.) - http://on.fb.me/xNP5Aw
- Guerilla Gourmet (Sausages & Hot Dogs) - www.sausagefestkc.com
- Mad Jack's on Wheels (Fried Fish) - http://bit.ly/xsCYM6
- Cajun Cabin (Cajun) - http://on.fb.me/y9RgVg
- Cajun Bistro (Cajun) - http://on.fb.me/A5vPZz
- Magical Meatball Tour (International) - http://on.fb.me/y2D9ER
- Rock - n- Moroccan (Moroccan) - http://on.fb.me/p6R8mu
- Gary's on the go BBQ (BBQ) - http://on.fb.me/w7wx1n
- MeatMeKC (BBQ) - http://on.fb.me/xCXHc1
- Smokin Fresh Streetside BBQ (BBQ) - http://on.fb.me/xzVgna
- Southern Thyme (Southern/BBQ) - http://bit.ly/xFcKek
- The Roasterie Coffee Truck (Coffee) - http://on.fb.me/gGD1di
- Prairie Fire Oven (Pizza) - http://on.fb.me/wM56u7
- High Five Food Truck (American/Vegan) - http://on.fb.me/ynmtlS
- Longboards Food Truck (Wraps & Asian) - http://on.fb.me/zjfH1O
- Muffin Mechanics (Muffins/Coffee) - http://bit.ly/wj08dL