Sweet Cherries in Port
4 cups (almost a full bottle) of your favorite drinkable Port
1 lb. of sweet cherries washed with stems removed
4 1-quart canning jars with screw top lid or a large buckle jar
Wash your jar with soap and water and dry completely. Then add your cherries into the jar almost half full to ¾ full to the top. Then pour your port wine over the top and place the lid on it tightly. Store in a cupboard for about 4-6 months, shaking the jar once a week.
When ready to enjoy, eat the cherries and drink the port.
NOTE: Can also be made with brandy, if making with brandy you will need to add 2/3 cup sugar to your jar.
6 lbs. small to medium ripe peaches
3 cups of water
4 cups of sugar
4 cups of brandy
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the peaches and boil just until the skins loosen, 30 seconds, transfer immediately to a bowl with water and ice to stop the cooking process and help loosen the skins. Then take each peach and peel them completely of their skin and cut them in half removing the pits.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the 3 cups of water and all of the sugar and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil the syrup until slightly reduced to 4 cups of liquid, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the peaches to the syrup and bring to a boil.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peaches to (4) 1-quart canning jars or your one large buckle jar.
5. Add the brandy to the remaining syrup and bring to a boil.
6. Ladle the hot syrup over the peaches in each jar and close the jars tightly.
7. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least one week before serving.
8. Store unopened jars in the refrigerator for at least 3 months before serving
9. Serve the peaches with ice cream or pound cake and drink the fruit liquor.